As you know, I'm now into quilting. I absolutely love it. I love to look at patterns waiting for that special one to shout out at me. That is what happened when I saw the pattern. I was surfing the net looking at quilting websites and looking at the patterns. I saw the pink ribbons and KNEW I had to buy that pattern and HAD to make that quilt for my aunt. It took 10 fat quarters, so I patiently waited for "Fat Quarter Friday" and then bought my fat quarters. And so began my Pink Ribbon Quilt journey.
I can't tell you the number of hours this quilt took. My cousin asked me how long - but I don't know. I remember when I first started to cut out the pieces and sew the first few ribbons - it took me about a half an hour to sew one ribbon. But I did get faster (as long as I didn't make a mistake). I can tell you that I cut, sewed, ironed, sewed some more through watching Covert Affairs (about 3 episodes), 21 Jump Street (2 episodes - man there are some goodlooking guys in that show!), and a couple NCIS episodes on FanCast. I also watched Laws of Attraction, parts of each of the three Lord of the Rings series, Why did I get Married Too, and a couple others. I can't believe it took me that long - but I guess with the taking out of stitches time would add up.
Binding the quilt was another story! My co-worker helped me sew on the binding strips and explained how to finish the binding. But I did something wrong - the stitches were way too close. In about 3 hours I finished only about 3/4 of one side and I thought I'd NEVER get it done. I took the quilt to pack night knowing that every little bit of time would help - and there I was saved. A kind Sister in the ward came to look and gave me some good advice. I knew right away that what I was doing DEFINITELY was not the ideal way when her response to me saying that I thought the stitches were too close was " Well, as long as you are consistent." I had her show me her way and boy it was much easier! In about 3 hours I had finished the other three sides of the quilt - so I undid the first section and finished it up.
Making this quilt has been wonderful. I've thought alot about family and the love I have for all of my family - and the desire I have to be closer to everyone. And how grateful I am for our eternal family - knowing that by living righteously, we'll all be together again. How beautiful and wonderful to know that this time on earth is not the end - that there is something greater for us. If we endure to the end, we will inherit the Kingdom of God. We will be together again. We will see each other again. I've also thought of how wonderful the Atonement is. Because I am far from perfect - and knowing that I can repent of my mistakes and work toward becoming a better person calms my fears.
Here are a couple of pictures of Aunt Mary's quilt:
| Finished Quilt |
| Binding - front and back |
| This is my favorite ribbon |
| this is the binding that i originally did - i took it out because it didn't look all that great and Sister Lee showed me a much faster way! |

That is so beautiful Teri! What a thoughtful gesture! And your hours of effort created a warm memory.
ReplyDeleteYOU ARE SO TALENTED! That quilt is absolutely perfect. I know Aunt Mary will love it.
ReplyDeleteit is truly beautiful! thank you for sharing it with all of us as well as your aunt mary!
ReplyDeleteIt turned out fabulous, Teri! I'm glad you found out a faster way to bind it {and it's a plus that you like the new way better}. =) That will make future quilts a lot more likely to get finished. ;)
ReplyDeleteWay to go Teri! I am impressed at your talent! It looks really good!
ReplyDelete